St. John’s Sports & Entertainment Ltd. (SJSEL) is looking for a Sales Manager to sell events for the St. John’s Convention Centre and Mary Brown’s Centre. SJSEL is looking for a prospective candidate who has exceptional interpersonal skills, is adventurous, passionate, and a creative thinker. Determination, high energy, excellent time management skills, the ability to set priorities, and strategic thinking are a must.
Reporting to the Manager – Sales & Events, the successful candidate will work hand in hand with the Sales and Events team, Food & Beverage team, and Destination St. John’s (DSJ) to bring new opportunities and ideas to the table.
- Perform sales functions for all events, including: conventions, sports, concerts, meetings, and banquets;
- Work as part of a team, and with various service partners, to highest industry standards to realize our goals for sales, event excellence and customer satisfaction;
- Solicit and develop new business on a local and/or national level;
- Book events, initiate sales calls, follow up on qualified leads, identify and influence decision makers, and conduct sales presentations and site tours;
- Prepare proposals, quotes, correspondence and contracts related to prospective and active sales accounts;
- Ensure a seamless transition of currently booked business and all pertinent information from sales to SJSEL Event Coordinators;
- Effectively use SJSEL’s booking and event management software;
- Attend events as the sales representative for SJSEL as directed;
- Work closely with Destination St. John’s (DSJ) and the sales teams for local area hotels to secure business in designated market segments;
- Participate in product and process development to continuously improve the offering;
- Provide administrative assistance and back up to other sales managers when required;
- Other duties as required.
- Minimum of a Bachelor degree in Hospitality Management, Marketing, or Business related degree or equivalent experience;
- Minimum of five (5) years sales management experience with knowledge of hospitality industry practices and/or convention centre operations is preferred;
- Excel at building trust and enthusiasm, with an innate ability to connect with people;
- Ability to remain positive, resourceful and improvise while working in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment, sometimes under pressure;
- Strong communication, analytical, and computer skills;
- Knowledge of conference services would be a definite asset;
- Ability to travel (if required);
- Equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
St. John’s Sports & Entertainment Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the employment of a qualified workforce which reflects the diversity of our community.
The deadline for applications is Friday, April 15, 2022. Late applications will not be considered.